Thursday, October 7, 2010

Stereotypes in Ulsan

Occasionally stereotypes hold some general truth, but perhaps more often, they just make me laugh. Below I have simply listed those I have noted, and I tried to refrain from adding any bias to show which ones I think are true and which are hilarious.

Also, please note in Ulsan, the term foreigner is used to describe non-Asian, English speakers, so mainly those coming from America, Cananda, Australia, and South Africa.
  • Foreigners need bread
  • A foreigner doesn't need a rice cooker
  • Foreigner home-cooked food is not salty enough and is "healthy"
  • Foreigners can't live without certain sauces: yellow mustard, steak sauce, ketchup, etc.
  • Foreigners love coffee. There are restaurants that advertise serving coffee and hot dogs, coffee and spaghetti and waffles, and I think I even saw coffee and beer
  • Foreigners, particularly Americans, rely on their mothers to do their laundry, dishes, and other general cleaning
  • Foreigners don't like "spicy" food, kimchee, or any other "strange" Korean food
  • Foreigners won't eat raw fish or beef

No comments:

Post a Comment